Would you like to improve your knowledge of Serbian in a fun and effective way, in a friendly atmosphere, without pressure and at a time which suits you? Youth organisation iSerbia invites you to participate in the first Serbian Language Exchange Program!
The program links Serbian people born or raised abroad, and foreigners, who wish to improve their Serbian language skills, with young people in Serbia who would like to improve their knowledge of a language other than Serbian.
The participants will have a chance to:
- practice Serbian with fluent speakers, from the comfort of their home, via email, chat and Skype,
- improve their communication skills and language proficiency,
- make new acquaintances and develop friendships.
The call is currently open for Serbian people from the diaspora and foreigners who wish to learn Serbian.
How does the program work?
The prospective Serbian language learners can apply using the online application form, after which they will be inserted into iSerbia’s language exchange database. iSerbia will then pair the learner with a partner whose mother tongue is Serbian, and who wishes to improve his or her knowledge of the language the learner speaks fluently. The participants will receive a 10-week program adapted to their level of knowledge.
The program consists of 10 units:
- Contact between language partners is maintained at least once every 14 days, for the duration of 1 hour (30 minutes for 1 language, 30 minutes for the other). The learners are expected to spend at least 60 minutes preparing for each “class”. Therefore, the total time spent learning is 10 x (60 minutes of preparation + 60 minutes of language exchange work).
Who is eligible?
In order to be eligible, your knowledge of Serbian needs to be at least at the A2 level (upper beginner level). In order to determine whether it is, please check using the self-evaluation table developed by the Council of Europe here.
IMPORTANT: Please do not overestimate your knowledge and apply if your level of Serbian is less than A2, since the program is not intended for absolute beginners.
What are the rules?
- Exchange: You must give knowledge in order to receive it!
- Skype: You must have Skype installed on your computer and be a registered user. If you do not have Skype, you can download it for free here.
The Serbian Language Exchange Program will help you:
- improve your proficiency of Serbian,
- develop your verbal skills in Serbian,
- to learn colloquial, technical and professional terms, as well as slang,
- lose inhibition to speak and express yourself in Serbian,
- establish contact with peers and make new friends!
How do I apply?
If you would like to become a Serbian language exchange learner, please:
1. Self-evaluate your knowledge of Serbian here.
2. Fill the short application form (in Serbian – if you speak A2 level, it should not be a problem!). Deadline for applications: October 5th, 2014, 11:59pm CET.